So Nicole came home one day after school and mentioned that 3 of her friends were asking her a lot of questions about her religion. One friend is Catholic,one Muslim, and the other Jewish. For 11 yr olds they knew the right questions to ask, but the one that Nicole felt most proud of her answer was to the question " Why do you have a Prophet now and what does he do and why do you listen to him"? Her answer was plain and simple: why would God not have someone here on earth to lead us, we had a time on earth when there were no Prophets on the Earth and there was chaos, why would we want chaos again, we need direction from Heavenly Father on what to do in these days, listening to the Prophet will only help us make good choices and to return to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Why wouldn't I want to have that. I am thankful for our Prophet who guides us?
Her friends were in awe, and their answer: Well that makes sense!
Nicole and her friend Arwen are the only members in their grade and in the entire school of 900 kids there are only 4 members in the entire school. Our numbers are few, but I hope the strength Nicole has will be an example to those around her.
I was talking to Arwens mom the other day, and she told me of another instance where Nicole and Arwen were in a conversation circle with a bunch of their girl friends on the playground. The topic: What their favorite type of coffee drink. Nicole and Arwen this time kept their mouths shut, but instead gave each other a look and a smile and then removed themselves from the conversation. To know that you have someone there who believes in the same things you do and can be strong together is so very comforting, and I am thankful that Nicole has Arwen as a friend.
The years ahead of them are not going to be easy, but I hope the lessons they have learned along the way will help them with what comes ahead, but that they also make friends who respect their beliefs and that they can consider a good friend.
0 comments:
Post a Comment